Choco-Mint Meringue Pie
- Serves: 8
- Cooking Time: MINS
- Total Calories: 521 CALS
Nutrients per serving:
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 26.6g
- Carbohydrate: 67g
Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 11 tbsp (5 mL) at a time while beating, until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine graham crumbs and cocoa in small bowl. Fold into egg white mixture until no white streaks remain. Spread in a greased 9 inch (22 cm) pie plate, bringing meringue up side to form pie shell. Bake in a 325 F (160 C) oven for about 30 minutes until dry. Shell may puff up during baking, but will crack or sink when filling is added. Let stand on wire rack until completely cooled.
Chocolate Mousse Filling
Heat chocolate chips and margarine in heavy small saucepan on lowest heat, stirring often, until chocolate is almost melted. Do not overheat. Remove from heat. Stir until smooth. Spread over pie shell.
Combine whipping cream, pudding powder and sugar in medium bowl. Beat until soft peaks form. Add liqueur. Beat until stiff peaks form.
Fold in cookies. Spread over chocolate in pie shell. Sprinkle with grated chocolate. Chill for at least 8 hours until set.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Baking: 30 minutes
Chilling: 8 hours
- Meringue Crust
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cocoa, sifted
- Chocolate Mousse Filling
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter or margarine, cut up
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whipping cream
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) instant vanilla pudding powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) mint-flavored liqueur (creme de menthe is best)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chocolate mint cookies, chopped (such as Oreo Mint ‘n’ Creme)
- chocolate curls (or grated chocolate)