Canada’s egg, poultry and dairy industries are an extremely valuable economic contributor to many communities across the country. Thanks to supply management, farming provides stability and growth which, on a provincial level, is especially vital to rural Alberta. Together, these supply managed industries create jobs, support local businesses, provide municipal, provincial and federal tax revenue, and contribute to Canada’s Gross Domestic Product.
Here is a more detailed look at the economic impact of the egg industry across Canada (2018).
Economic impact of Alberta’s egg industry (2018)
- Registered egg farmers in Alberta: 164
- Registered grading stations in Alberta: 40
- Farm cash receipts: $112 million
- Gross Domestic Production: $156 million
- Total # jobs created: 1,627
- Total tax revenue (federal, provincial and municipal): $33.6 million
Click here for a more detailed look at the economic impact of egg & poultry industries across Canada (2018).