1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
- In a heavy saucepan, combine water and butter and bring to full boil. Reduce heat; add flour and salt all at once stirring vigorously with wooden spoon until mixture forms smooth ball that leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat. Add eggs, one at a time, beating vigorously after each, and continue beating until dough is smooth and shiny.
- Chill dough a few minutes in refrigerator. Drop by large spoonful’s onto lightly greased baking sheet, mounding each high in center. Bake in 425º F oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350º F for 20 to 30 minutes longer or until well puffed, crisp and golden brown. Cool thoroughly on racks.
- Cut thin slice from the top of each puff. Remove any moist filaments of dough inside. Fill with whipped cream and top with fruit (if using). If desired, replace “lids” and dust lightly with sifted icing sugar.
- Makes 12 medium or 8 large puffs.