Pack and Go Salad
- Serves: 2
- Cooking Time: 10 MINS
- Total Calories: 440 CALS
Nutrients per serving:
- Fat: 33g
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 13g
- Fibre: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
Divide spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, chickpeas and eggs between two resealable plastic containers.
Vinaigrette: Whisk together oil, vinegar, shallot, chives, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper until combined. Pour into two small resealable plastic containers; pack along with salad.
For extra protein, add a sliced grilled chicken breast or leftover steak to the salad.
To cook hard-cooked eggs: In saucepan large enough to fit eggs in single layer, place eggs and fill with enough cold water to cover eggs with 1 inch (2.5 cm) of cold water. Cover and bring eggs to rolling boil over high heat. Remove from heat; let stand in water for 18 to 23 minutes depending on the size (18 minutes for medium-size eggs, 20 minutes for large eggs and 23 minutes for extra-large eggs). Drain water; immediately run cold water over eggs until cooled (rapid cooling helps prevent a green ring from forming around yolks).
- 4 cups (1L) fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (125mL) sliced cucumbers (half moons)
- 1/2 cup (125mL) halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup (60mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) minced shallot
- 2 tsp (10mL) chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp (5mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) honey
- 1/4 tsp (1.25mL) each salt & pepper