Middle Eastern Shakshuka Dinner
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 22 MINS
- Total Calories: 590 CALS
Nutrients per serving:
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 25g
- Fibre: 6g
- Sugars: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 67g
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In large oven proof high-sided skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, pepper, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, salt, cinnamon, hot pepper flakes and pepper, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften and tomato paste is deep red and very fragrant, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, approximately 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Using a spoon, make 8 divots in the sauce mixture; crack egg into each divot.
Baste each egg with a little of the tomato sauce; transfer to oven. Bake until eggs are soft-cooked or cooked to desired doneness, approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Garnish with feta and parsley. Serve with pita bread.
- Substitute goat cheese for feta cheese and chopped mint for parsley if desired.
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp ( 5 ml) smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (28oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 4 Greek-style pitas (7 inch/18 cm) toasted