Freekeh Power Bowl with Dill Pesto
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 10 MINS
- Total Calories: 420 CALS
Nutrients per serving:
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Fibre: 4g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 14g
Dill Pesto: In food processor, pulse parsley, dill, walnuts, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper until combined. With motor running, slowly pour in olive oil until almost smooth.
Cook freekeh according to package directions. Meanwhile, fill saucepan with enough water to come 3 inches (8 cm) up side; heat to gentle simmer. Break one cold egg into small dish or saucer; holding dish just above simmering water, gently slip egg into water. Repeat for remaining eggs. Cook in barely simmering water until white is set and yolk is cooked as desired, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Remove eggs with slotted spoon. Drain well on paper towel.
Toss freekeh with half of the pesto. Divide evenly among 4 bowls. Top with asparagus, avocado and crumbled feta; drizzle with a little more pesto. Top with poached egg.
- Dill pesto is also a nice addition to scrambled eggs or egg salad.
- Substitute quinoa, barley or brown rice for freekeh if desired.
- To help egg whites coagulate, add 2 tsp (10 mL) vinegar to poaching water.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) freekeh
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 lb (250 g) asparagus, trimmed, chopped, and steamed
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup 9175 mL) fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup ( 60 mL) fresh dill
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup ( 60 mL) olive oil