Eggnog & Caramel Holiday Pancakes
- Serves: 6
- Cooking Time: 25 MINS
- Total Calories: CALS
Nutrients per serving:
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the white sugar and egg yolks whisking until thick. Once the temperature of the milk/cream mixture reaches a simmering bubble, add large ladles of hot milk to the sugar-yolk mixture, tempering the ingredients while whisking feverishly. Continue to add milk until it has all been combined into the bowl.
2. Return the mixture to the saucepan on a low simmering heat and allow it to reach 160 °F (70°C) and thicken up.
3. Remove from the heat and place in a container, covered with plastic wrap in the fridge until cool. The eggnog should be much thicker once cooled.
1. Add the sugar to a heavy bottom or non-stick pan and whisk until melted. Once melted, add butter, whisking until it is fully melted.
2. Remove the melted butter and sugar mixture from the heat immediately and slowly add the cream whisking until absorbed. If there are any sugar clumps, run the caramel sauce through a sieve or strainer and discard clumps.
3. Let cool to room temperature.
1. In a large bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. In another large bowl, combine dry ingredients whisking until fully combined.
2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients whisking as you pour. Once you have your batter, preheat a flat top pancake griddle or non-stick pan, and cover with cooking spray or melted butter.
3. Use a 4 oz (120 mL) ladle to scoop 4-5 pancakes onto a flat top pancake griddle or do it in smaller batches if you are using the non-stick pan. Allow the pancakes to cook fully on one side before flipping. You should start to see bubbles start to pop through the batter indicating that heat is penetrating through to the middle of the pancake. Flip and finish on the reverse side.
4. Stack the pancakes and top with the crumbled chocolate. Use a spoon to drizzle warm homemade caramel sauce all over all sides of the pancake, then top with the final full chocolate. Serve while warm.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups homemade eggnog
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 12 chocolate hazelnut holiday candies for topping (optional)