Egg Pepperonata on Italian Flatbread
- Serves: 6
- Cooking Time: 20 MINS
- Total Calories: 344 CALS
Nutrients per serving:
- Protein: 16.7g
- Fat: 14.1g
- Carbohydrate: 37.1g
Preheat oven to 190° C (375° F). Split bread in half. Spread with mustard. Set aside.
In a bowl, beat together eggs, salt and pepper. Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil in a large non stick skillet, over medium high heat. Add eggs. As egg mixture begins to set, gently move spatula across bottom and sides of skillet to form large, soft curds. When eggs are set but still moist, spoon over lower half of bread.
Wipe skillet with a paper towel. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil over high heat. Add onion, garlic, red and green peppers and tomato. Season with salt and pepper. Stir fry until tender crisp, about 2 minutes. Stir in basil. Spoon vegetable mixture over eggs. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with top half of bread.
Bake 10 minutes. Cut into individual portions. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Tip: For a lunch bag, cool pepperonata completely. Cover individual servings separately with plastic wrap and refrigerate. To reheat, remove plastic wrap and place one sandwich on a paper napkin in microwave. Reheat on ‘High’ (100%) 1 to 11/2 minutes.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- 1 large Italian flatbread*
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dijon mustard
- 6 eggs
- to taste salt and pepper
- 4 tsp (20 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium tomato, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh basil or 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- * Or use focaccia, kaiser rolls or pita breads.