- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 150 MINS
- Total Calories: 381 CALS
Nutrients per serving:
- Protein: 9g
- Fat: 29g
- Carbs: 15g
1. Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and pour lemon juice over. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
2. Heat niter kibbeh or butter along with the olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add the onions and saute, covered, over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, and 1 tablespoon butter and continue to saute, covered, for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the berbere and the 2 remaining tablespoons of butter and saute, covered, over low heat for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the chicken, broth, salt and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Adjust the seasonings, adding more berbere according to heat preference. Add the boiled eggs and simmer on low heat, covered, for another 15 minutes.
7. Half or quarter the eggs and arrange on the plates with stew. Serve hot with injera, bread or rice.
- 3 lbs chicken thigh
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp niter kibbeh
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups yellow onions finely minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp finely minced ginger
- 1/4 cup Ethiopian berbere
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Tej Ethiopian honey wine or white wine mixed with 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 hard-boiled eggs pierced all over with a fork