Classic Egg Nog
- Serves: 6
- Cooking Time: 10 MINS
- Total Calories: 173 CALS
Nutrients per serving:
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 6g
- Carbs: 173g
1. In a large saucepan, whisk together eggs and sugar until well combined. Whisk in milk. Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, mace and cloves; place over medium heat and whisk gently for about 10 minutes or until mixture has small bubbles around the edge of pan and thermometer reaches 160 F (71 C).
2. Remove from heat and pour through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl. Whisk in rum (if desired) and cover with plastic wrap, directly on the surface, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
3. In a bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Dollop each cup of egg nog with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
- Chocolate Egg Nog: Whisk in 1/2 cup (125 mL) high-quality cocoa powder to egg and sugar mixture and continue with recipe. OR see the Chocolate Egg Nog recipe.
- Maple Ginger Egg Nog: Omit granulated sugar and substitute 1/2 cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup. Add 1 inch (2.5 cm) piece fresh peeled ginger, thinly sliced or 2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger with cinnamon sticks and continue with recipe.
- Chai Egg Nog: Add 10 crushed green cardamom pods and 6 black peppercorns with cinnamon sticks and continue with recipe.
- If you don’t have ground mace you can substitute 1/4 tsp (1mL) ground allspice in the recipe.
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/8 quarts 2% milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 tsp ground mace
- pinch cloves
- 1/2 cup spiced rum (optional)
- 1 cup 35% whipping cream (optional)
- ground cinnamon (optional)