Eggs are great in many ways, it’s no yolk that they make our world a little brighter! This month we are talking about all the many reasons we are thankful for eggs, here are a few:
- Thankful for farm-fresh local eggs – Not only are the eggs found at the grocery store locally produced by Alberta’s egg farmers, but they are also fresh; on average it takes about a week from the time an egg is laid until it is available at your nearest grocery store.
- Thankful for Alberta’s egg farming families – We are proud of the 170 egg farming families in Alberta who work hard year-round to provide Albertans with fresh, high-quality eggs for all to enjoy. Local farmers go above and beyond to ensure they are following animal care standards and practices set out by the Canadian egg industry.
- Thankful for a safe, healthy protein source – Protein is essential to maintaining a healthy, balanced diet. Thankfully, eggs are one of the few foods that are classified as a complete protein, meaning it contains all essential 9 amino acids, which in turn provides an immense number of benefits. Don’t forget, there are 6 grams of protein in 1 egg!
- Thankful for affordable nutrition for all – In addition to eggs being a great source of protein, they are full of essential vitamins and minerals including iron, vitamins A, D, E, B12, and more that are all important in maintaining good overall health. As a great source of nutrition for the whole family, eggs are easily accessible and affordable for all, as a carton of standard eggs costs between three to four dollars.
- Thankful for sustainable on-farm practices – Egg farmers are conscious of the environmental impact they have on the planet; therefore, they implement innovative barn construction features, embrace energy-efficient technologies, and adapt water and energy-efficient methods to reduce their carbon footprint. We are thankful for our egg farmers’ involvement in the Producer Environmental Egg Program (PEEP) that lays out steps towards environmental-friendly practices.
There you have it, all the reasons we are grateful for all the wonderfulness of eggs!