Have you heard about the latest and greatest kitchen appliance, the Instant Pot? You can’t go on any type of social media and not see every food blogger out there raving about this multi-purpose electric pressure cooker. This past Christmas it was one hot item—it was sold out everywhere! I was one of the early adopters and got mine about 2 years ago, and I tell ya, it is FABULOUS! The fact that the Instant Pot has slow cooker, rice, yogurt and many other functions was a bonus!
Instant Pot is a brand name item and there are many knock-offs out there, but my thought is that this brand is totally worthwhile.
One of the reasons it caught my eye was that it claimed to make the best hard-boiled eggs that are easy to peel. Up to that point, I rarely made hard boiled eggs or egg salad, since my fresh eggs always needed to sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks and that never seemed to happen and the fresh eggs, when boiled, were impossible to peel.
Enter the Instant Pot. I think it works so much better than the traditional boil-in-water method because the eggs are steamed and this loosens the membrane between the egg and the shell. There are lots of variations on the methods to use in the Instant Pot, and I played around and came up with this 6-6-6 method.
Easy Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs:
- Plug in your Instant Pot.
- Place the rack that came with your Instant Pot in the bottom.
- Place the desired number of eggs on the rack.
- Put 1 cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Put the lid on and lock the lid.
- Turn on the manual setting and set your Instant Pot to 6 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot is finished it will beep several times.
- Use natural pressure release for 6 minutes.
- Use the quick release valve to let off the steam.
- Place eggs in an ice bath for 6 minutes.
- Peel, enjoy or make egg salad deviled eggs!
When I did my tests, I rushed down to the barn, got the freshest eggs possible, using the above method and voila!
Now I make hard boiled eggs weekly to keep as a quick, protein-rich snack in my fridge.
They are a terrific way to beat the munchies!